Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Terrible News from Chicago

This mortified me this morning:

"U.S. District Judge Joan H. Lefkow found her husband and mother shot dead in the basement of her home Monday night, less than a year after white supremacist Matthew Hale was convicted of trying to have her murdered for holding him in contempt of court."

I am certain that the Chicago legal community is grieving for this loss. Judge Lefkow is one of the most kind, caring judges I ever had the opportunity to apear before. I was also lucky enough to attend the wedding of two of my friends in New Hampshire where she officiated. (The bride was a former law clerk for Judge Lefkow.) I met her husband and one of her daughters at the wedding.

My deepest sympathies go out to Judge Lefkow and the rest of her family.