Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Return of the Baghdad Alarm Clock

The Green Zone and Baghdad had been fairly quiet for the last few weeks, at least until the Hilla car bomb the other day. Attacks seem to be picking up again (based on anecdotal evidence only) after the lull. The Green Zone took a few mortar rounds last night, although I don't think they caused any damage. This morning I was awoken by the sound of a car bomb, followed by small arms fire. For a while back in the late fall, I would almost wake up every morning to the sound of bombs or mortars in the distance. I hope this doesn't become a pattern again.