Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Tensions with Syria

After the assasination of former Syrian PM Rafik Hariri, US relations with Syria seem headed southward:

"The funeral comes as U.S. pressure mounts on Syria in the wake of the deadly blast in Lebanon that killed Hariri, with Washington recalling its ambassador to Syria.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Tuesday Syria was 'unfortunately on a path right now where relations are not improving, but are worsening'."


I was privileged enough to travel with an Iraqi delegation to Syria last fall. Damascus is a beautiful city, and the mosque in the middle of the "Old City" is particularly stunning. It's a shame Syria has chosen this path. It doesn't look like I'll be heading back to Syria for further negotiations anytime soon.