Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

There seems to be quite a bit of discussion these days about the appropriate time for US withdrawal from Iraq. Senator Kennedy called for, basically, immediate withdrawal. You won't be surprised to learn that I disagree. I've also seen a lot of spculation that the Bush Administration is looking for a quick exit strategy. I think that would be a mistake for many reasons, summed up nicely in this article. An excerpt:

"That is why the president is more right than he knows to reject calls for an arbitrary departure date. The price of liberty in Iraq will be, if not eternal vigilance on the part of the United States, then certainly 10 years' vigilance. "

Here's another interesting tidbit when I was at Camp Victory the other day (near the airport), Iraqis were pouring concrete for sidewalks within the camp. Not exactly something a departing force would undertake.