Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Possibility of Allawi Remaining PM

While most commentary today seems convinced that Allawi is on his way out, at least one article seems to give a bit of credence to the theory I set forth yesterday:

"Iraq's first free election in more than 50 years may confirm the position of Allawi, a U.S.-backed Shiite who describes himself as secular, as a compromise to unite religious and ethnic groups, according to analysts including Josh Mandel, head of the Middle East unit at London-based Control Risks Group. Mahdi may also be able to win support from diverse groups and has the advantage of being a moderate member of the Shia list, Fuertig said."

Obviously there are still a lot of moving parts, but I certainly don't think it's a done deal that Allawi is gone as PM.