Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Mardi Gras in Baghdad

So I ordered a supply of beads from my trusty supplier and had them delivered to Baghdad. After my meeting this morning with 3 Iraqi generals, I proceeded to give them beads and attampted to explain to them the concept of Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday and the like.

Have you ever tried to explain to someone what Mardi Gras is? Have you ever tried to do that with folks who don't speak English and aren't Christian? It was not an easy task. But the generals seemed appreciative, and proudly donned their beads as they left the building.

[No flashing was involved.]