Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005


I've been stuck in Baghdad for about the last month and am starting to go a bit stir crazy. Thankfully I should be heading out again soon, which means more Blackhawk rides. One of the great joys of the those rides is being able to wave out the window to the Iraqis on the ground. Here you can make out a few farmers with their sheep and cattle. The Blackhawks usually bring all of the kids running out of their houses to wave. We fly low enough that you can actually see the excitement on the children's faces when we wave back.