Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Islam as a Basis for the Iraqi Constitution?

Earlier this week, a report came out that Sistani would use Islamic law as the basis for the Iraqi Constitution if his party wins, followed by a quick denial from official Sistani representatives.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that this was a preemptive leak to lock down Sistani before the election results came in. A smooth political operator would intentionally leak "news" that Sistani was planning to embrace Islamic law so that Sistani would have to go on record as denying that plan. That promise could then be used against Sistani if his party won over 50% and he tried to introduce Islamic law in the Constitution. We'll probably never know for sure, but that's my take on what may have really happened.