Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Monday, February 07, 2005


I neglected to mention one other group of heros from the election: my Desert Wolves out on the Syrian and Jordanian borders. As many of you know, the al Anbar province is Iraq's most dangerous area (it includes Fallujah and Ramadi). The security plan drawn up for the elections called for rings of Iraqi police and national guard to protect the polling stations. In western Anbar, those groups are either tiny or nonexistent. So the Desert Wolves stepped in. They developed and implemented a security plan in under a week to provide protection for four polling stations, with no reported incidents. Congratulations guys; you deserve it.