Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Happy Groundhog Day


"This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather." -Groundhog Day (Hat tip: NRO)

I've remarked to my friends many times that Baghdad often resembles the movie Groundhog Day; it seems like every day you wake up and find yourself dealing with the same problems you thought you solved the day before (only unlike the movie, if you get killed in Baghdad, you don't get to wake up again and do it over). And sometimes you ask yourself, like Murray in the movie, What would you do if you were stuck in one place and every day was exactly the same, and nothing that you did mattered?

But somehow this Groundhog Day seems different. I can't really explain it; it's just a feeling that something remarkable DID happen on Sunday -- Iraq may finally have broken free of the wheel-spinning and can make meaningful forward progress. Like Bill Murray, I'm not sure television really captured it. But unlike Murray, I'm completely serious.