Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Friday, February 18, 2005

A Company of Soldiers

I encourage everyone to tune in to PBS on February 22nd at 9pm to watch "A Company of Soldiers", which follows the men of the 8th cavalry here in Baghdad. You'll get a glimpse of what life is like here. But more importantly you'll learn about some of the real heroes that the US military produces. Even though I'm not a soldier, I too feel this sentiment:

"'You build a bond here, when you go through life-threatening things every day, when you spend all your time with the same group of people; you sleep with them, you eat with them, you clean with them, you cry with them,' says Sergeant Shane Carpenter. 'I mean, there's a bond between the men and women I work with out here that I've never felt with anyone else in my life.'"