Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Monday, February 07, 2005

Authentic Pizza Oven in Baghdad


Yes, the wine was good. But it didn't touch the pizza. The Italians built a real, honest to goodness pizza oven in their compound. They make the pizzas from scratch and distribute to their friends.

On a side note, I met and spoke with the Italian ambassador to Iraq. He's everything you'd expect in an Italian ambassador: impeccably dressed, friendly and gregarious. The Italians have this diplomacy thing down, in my opinion. The US could certainly learn some lessons from this guy.