Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Thursday, February 10, 2005


As most of you know, I frequently travel out to the borders to make sure Iraq's 16 official points of entry are operating smoothly. Usually we head through the crossing point to talk to the guards from the other country, and ask them how things are progressing. For some reason, the Iraqis don't often talk to their brethren on the other side of the border. You can imagine the problems this creates. But on a visit to the Safwan point of entry with Kuwait, I was able to snap this shot: the Kuwaiti and Iraqi border commanders holding hands (fyi- Iraqi men are often seen holing hands with their close male friends). How far this country has come since the time when it considered Kuwait the 19th province!