Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Wonders Never Cease- The Guardian publishes a pro-Iraqi elections piece

Kudos to the Guardian for publishing this op-ed asking a very serious question: Where is the European support for Iraqi elections?

Also interesting is this part:

"Although al-Jazeera broadcasts poison, Iraqi domestic television is now among the freest in the region. There are more than 20 licensed local TV stations, and 65% of the population are thought to have satellite dishes, banned until the fall of Saddam."

I'd estimate satellite saturation even higher. I've travelled to some of the most remote parts of Iraq, and satellite dishes are everywhere. It looks like West Virginia! When I fly over towns, I usually see multiple satellite dishes on rooftops. I even saw a satellite dish outside a building near Trebil (the Jordanian/Iraqi crossing point) that didn't have all 4 walls or windows. Iraqis are invested in educating themselves about the future of their government.