Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Thursday, January 20, 2005

What else I'm working on

Besides the Desert Wolves, I'm also working on border issues relating to the elections. CNN says:

"In advance of the election, Iraq's leadership plans to seal the nation's borders to thwart any plans to disrupt voting. Closing Iraq's perimeter January 29 to 31 is one of the latest efforts to reduce risks to people planning to cast ballots for a 275-member transitional national assembly."

This article also notes that "Intelligence sources estimate 150 car bombings and 250 suicide attacks are planned ahead of Iraq elections at the end of the month." There were 4 car bombs in Iraq just yesterday (glad I got delayed an extra day).