Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Power of the Vote

Every Iraqi who woke up this morning was faced with this calculus:

"Some voters today will, without a doubt, be killed either on their way to vote, waiting to vote, or actually voting. Will I risk my life today for democracy?"

And they Iraqi people have answered loud and clear: Yes. These men and women have been waiting their entire lives to make this kind of political statement.

I can't even begin to accurately capture the excitement in the air. When I've visited the polling station this morning (3 times, so far), I've seen nothing but smiles. And that is with the sound of bombs in the distance. Let's forget all the differences we have in the United States for one day, and celebrate the amazing resilience of the Iraqi populace.