Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Friday, January 21, 2005

Media Criticism of Inaugural Speech

I flicked on the television and watched some commentary on both BBC World and CNN World. Commentators on both stations noted with smirks that Bush failed to mention Iraq, as if the President was somehow too embarassed to mention the ongoing conflict. I don't think that's a fair criticism. Inaugural speeches are not State of the Union addresses; they need to reach high rhetorically and stand the test of time. I went back and re-read the Inaugural Address of John F. Kennedy. Guess what? He never mentioned the Soviet Union in his speech. Actually, if you read his speech side by side with the one just delivered by Bush, you'll find a lot of thematic similarities.

I did find this interesting passage: "And yet the same revolutionary beliefs for which our forebears fought are still at issue around the globe -- the belief that the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God." I doubt President Kennedy took much flak for envoking "God" in this context.