Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

How to Interrogate Terrorists

Heather MacDonald writes that the problem with our interrogations to date is that we have done too little, not too much:

"The need for rethinking interrogation doctrine in the war on terror will not go away, however. The Islamist enemy is unlike any the military has encountered in the past. If current wisdom on the rules of war prohibits making any distinction between a terrorist and a lawful combatant, then that orthodoxy needs to change."

I certainly agree with that assessment. But so does the US in general. The US has never ratified the proposed Geneva Protocol that would have extended the other portions of the Geneva Conventions to terrorists explicitly.

I pass along the article not because I agree with all of it, but because I think it provides an enlightening discussion on interrogation techniques in general-- a useful primer to a meaningful discussion about preserving human rights during interrogations as we move beyond archaic cold war conceptions of the battlefield.