Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Great Sharansky Op-Ed in today's WSJ

There is a great op-ed in today's Wall Street Journal by Natan Sharansky on democracy on the Middle East (and the Palestinians in particular). I'll post a link if I can find one. I wrote previously on this man's extraordinary book, The Case For Democracy: The Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror. I highly recommend it.

In fact, when I travelled to Saudia Arabia for border negotiations with the Saudis, I carried a copy of it with me. I staged my own silent protest of Saudi opposition to democracy by reading the book during the negotiations sessions. Hopefully they got the point. Just my own little contribution to world politics.

UPDATE: Here's the article.