Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Desert Wolves

What I do:

"AL ASAD, Iraq - U.S. military officials in Anbar province are reporting progress in one of their most difficult missions: securing Iraq's porous borders with Syria, Jordan and Saudi Arabia and turning over complete responsibility for the job to Iraqi forces.
Over the last three months, Marines under the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit have built - or rebuilt - more than two dozen border forts and recruited more than 1,000 specially trained Iraqi border security forces."


I wouldn't say the Marines have done this on their own, but they were a part of the mission since it's in their area of operations. Most of the credit goes to my comrades here in Baghdad from the Civilian Police Assistance Training Team (CPATT). Of course, this is what I've been working on too.

We were also the ones in Baghdad who came up with the name "Desert Wolves" for this new unit.