Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The Cos still has it

Bill Cosby knows what's goin' on:

"Parent power! Proper education has to begin at home. We must demand that our youth have an understanding of spoken and written English, math and science. We must transform our communities with a renewed commitment to our children, and that means parents must show that they value education. We don't need another federal commission to study the problem.
What we need now is parents sitting down with children, overseeing homework, sending children off to school in the morning well fed, clothed, rested and ready to learn. "


As many of you know, I've always had an intense interest in the politics of race. Cosby got into some trouble last year when he made some comments about parental responsibility; its good to see he's not backing off.

I also like that he uses the term "black" instead of African-American. "African-American" can be appropriate when heritage is actually known, but its not a synonym for black. I work with a black Iraqi colonel, and I swear I heard somebody over here refer to him as African-American the other day. Well, lets see. He's not African, he's Iraqi. And he's most definitely not American (although he'd love to be).

I don't agree with all of Cosby's politics, but I applaud his emphasis on personal responsibility. That's something we could all use more of.