Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Amazing Turnout

Never in my wildest hopes did I think this could happen:

"Iraq's historic election day is nearing its close with the independent election commission reporting a 72 percent nationwide turnout by mid-afternoon amid attacks and threats of attacks to disrupt the vote."

On the networks for the last few days, the MSM has been navel-gazing over the question: "What turnout is necessary for a legitimate election?" Thankfully no one took the bait (that I know of). Will any dare to say that 72%, assuming that number holds up, doesn't meet their criteria for legitimacy?