Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Friday, December 17, 2004


This is one of my favorite pictures I've taken so far. This is the area between the Iraqi and Syrian points of entry at al Qaim. al Qaim is in the Anbar region and is probably the worst insurgent town in Iraq now that Fallujah has been taken down. What you see is a mortar hole filled with trash, with 2 donkeys eating out of it. As you might imagine this point of entry doesn't get a whole lot of commercial traffic.