Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Friday, December 24, 2004

R&R Schedule

I've received a lot of questions about when I will be coming home for some R&R. My current plan is to come home at the end of the first week of March. I'll be heading to Chicago on March 12th, and then Las Vegas on March 17th for the opening weekend of March Madness. Then its back to the DC area for the rest of the month. I also hope to sprinkle in a few trips to Charlottesville, West Point and whoever esle will have me.

Vegas has special relevance to my current location. Two years ago, I was in Vegas for the college hoops tournament with my law school buddies when the US began Operation Iraqi Freedom. I remember sitting in the sports books watching one of the TVs tuned to coverage of the war. The next day, Ed McNally from the White House called me on my cell phone to invite me to join him in DC (I was sitting at a blackjack table in Bally's waiting for the second day of NCAA tournament games to begin). I was in shock, and my friends didn't really believe me when I told them the substance of the conversation.

After an agonizing few weeks, I decided to make the move. And now here I am.

For my Vegas partners-in-crime (you know who you are), time to make your reservations. I land in Vegas on Thursday at about 9am, and depart Sunday, March 20th at 6:20pm. I'm hoping for a good turnout. Still working on the hotel accomodations.