Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Thursday, December 16, 2004


I've just returned from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. I accompanied an Iraqi delegation to discuss Saudi-Iraqi border issues with the Saudi military and border guard. Riyadh is a pretty big city (about 600 square miles, with 3.5 mil people). This is the lobby of one of the buildings we held the talks. Although I obviously can't disclose the contents of the negotiations, I will say that it was an eye-opening experience. I'll write about my silent protest of Saudi human rights in a future post.