Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Sunday, December 19, 2004

Iraqi Elections Coverage

It looks like the mainstream media coverage of the Iraqi elections is heating up. To be sure, there are lots of issues to be resolved and worked out. Most of the stories I've read usually include a quote from an Iraqi "man on the street" about the January elections. In that spirit, I remind my readers of the following:

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
-Winston Churchill

Of course, that quote needs to be contextualized with Churchill's larger worldview of democracy:

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others.
-Winston Churchill