Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Sunday, December 26, 2004

Christmas Evening in Baghdad

Christmas Day was eerily quiet, with a steady drizzle to light rain falling throughout most of the day. I had expected it to be bombs away. Alas, the silence didn't last all day. I was standing outside my hooch last night when 2 mortars whizzed overhead and landed about a 100 yards from me. Luckily, no one was injured.

I usually just stay in my hooch when there is incoming, but this time I decided to go into the "shelter," which is little more than a couple concrete barricades. But at least it provides some overhead cover.