Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Car Bomber Attacks Near Baghdad Green Zone

A VBIED exploded outside Assassin's gate this morning, killing at least 15 and wounding 50 others.

ABC News: Car Bomber Attacks Near Baghdad Green Zone

My hooch is not close to the gate, but the blast shook my trailer. I never thought I'd have the "opportunity" to be able to distinguish between a mortar, a car bomb and an IED. But it was immediately clear that this wasn't a mortar or IED. Early reports speculate that the vehicle was packed with over 800 lbs of explosives. It felt like it.