Cigars in the Sand

Commentary, Notes and Pictures from my time in Iraq

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baghdad, Iraq

Farmer by genetics, Lawyer by training, currently "vacationing" in Iraq and advising the Iraqi government on border security issues. Before moving to Baghdad, I served in the White House as Deputy Counsel for the Homeland Security Council. I can be reached at opusxryanathotmaildotcom.

Thursday, December 23, 2004


As I mentioned, I spent the last few days back out on the Iraqi-Syrian border. Most of the border runs right through the middle of the al-Jazeera Desert. "al-Jazeera" means "the island" in Arabic. Its not exactly what you'd think of when you think "desert" (or at least not what I think of). Its flat and barren, but not nearly as much sand as you'd think. Instead its covevered in small, coarse rocks for as far as the eye can see. It looks like ot might be the surface of Mars.